So you want to start selling online. Whether you already have a great product or service, or you're interested in creating a new source of income, here are steps to get you on the right path.
Finding a product
If you don't already have a product in mind, this would be an obvious starting point. Here are some points on finding a product that sells:
- Find a product that solves a problem.
- Find a niche that isn't oversaturated.
- Make sure the product is profitable.
- Try to find trends as early as possible.
- Focus on products that you're passionate about.
Create a brand
Building a brand is incredibly valuable. Creating a recognizable brand allows companies to differentiate themselves from the competition better. When building your brand, as yourself these questions: Why does your brand exist? What makes you different from the competition? What problem does your product solve? And lastly, why should anyone care? Answer these questions to distinguish your business and your brand from your competitors.
Choose a system
There are plenty of eCommerce options available today. Here is a list of the most popular platforms being used:
- Shopify - One of the most popular platforms. Shopify is an excellent option for those looking for a simple system at a low cost. Shopify is somewhat limited in regards to customization.
- WooCommerce - I use WooCommerce for most online stores with a large inventory or require more complex products such as variable products or product bundles. It's a plugin for WordPress, so if you are already running a WordPress website, this is a great option.
- GravityForms eCommerce - This is an excellent option if you're selling one or a small number of itemsservices. Gravity Forms is also a WordPress plugin and can be a little more complicated to setup.
You have your product or service, and you've defined a brand. Your site is looking good. But before you open up shop, you need to decide on a marketing strategy. This is an essential part of the process. You can have the best product in the world. But you'll never make a single sale if no one knows it exists.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO/) is the process of optimizing your website and product pages for ideal keywords. SEO takes time and requires building content that's considered useful.
Paid marketing is ideal for kickstarting your sales. Unlike Search Engine Optimization, by creating effective ads on platforms like Google Ads, Facebook, and Instagram can yield immediate results. However, you should start building natural site traffic. So don't neglect to focus on search engine optimization
After reaching a point where a consistent stream of sales are coming in, it's time to start optimizing the customer experience and engagement. Focus on how your customers arrive, how they interact with your product pages and the checkout experience. Focus on how to improve site speed, layout, and limit shopping cart abandonment.
Selling online is a great way to create a new revenue stream or improve upon existing sales. Whether you need additional funding to build your online presence or if you need help with online credit card processing, First Union Lending can help. Call us at 863-825-5626. One of our representatives will be happy to help!