Business License Requirements in Florida

Business License Requirements in Florida

While the process of starting a business in Florida isn't necessarily difficult, there are several steps that you need to take to ensure that you can legally operate. One such step: obtaining the right permits and business licenses. Depending on your industry and your county/city, there may be several permits that you need to obtain. Business licenses for Florida based companies may include federal, state, and/or local permits. The key is to gather as much information as you can regarding what your specific sectorlocale demands as far as licensing goes. You do not want to overlook a crucial permit as this can ultimately end in penalties and even steep fines. In this article, we look more closely at some of the business license requirements for Florida.

Business License Requirements – County Wide

The state of Florida has no general business license that companies need to apply for. That said, individual counties and some cities do have certain regulations in which a license or permit may be required. Below are a few of the business license requirements by county and/or city.

Jacksonville / Duval County – Within Jacksonville, there is an across the board requirement for all business owners. To operate a Jacksonville based business you will need to obtain a City Business Tax Receipt from your specific municipality. Additionally, if you are operating from a fixed location, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Use from the Zoning Board—this also applies to home-based entities.

Miami-Dade County – Unlike in Jacksonville, there is no requirement in Miami which encompasses all operating businesses. However, there are industry-specific business licenses that certain companies will be required to get in Miami-Dade County. These include contractors, towing companies, pool cleaners, and locksmiths among others.

And again, as in Duval County, if you are operating from a fixed location you will need to get a Certificate of Use from the local Zoning board. Given that you are operating from a building, Miami-Dade County requires that you get a yearly inspection of the property and also that you obtain a Life Safety Operating Permit from the Fire Department.

Tampa – If you operate out of the city of Tampa you will need to get a Local Business Tax Receipt—this goes for all businesses up and running with the city limits.

Orlando – As with other major Florida cities, if working within the city limits of Orlando, you will need to get a City and County Business Tax Receipt. Orlando has a Permitting Services Division which handles such transactions. The County Business Tax Receipt is handled by the Orange County Tax Collector.

Owners of commercial buildings along with any tenants conducting business in such buildings have to apply for a use permit as well.

St. Petersburg – Much as with the other cities on this list, if operating out of St. Petersburg, your business will need to get a Business Tax Certificate Receipt. Also in St. Petersburg, certain types of companies will have to apply for additional permitting; these include food trucks and contracting services among others. If your business is in a commercial building, you will have to apply for a Certificate of Occupancy on top of the other required permits/licenses.

Employer Identification Number

While not all businesses need to obtain an EIN, many in Florida do. Your EIN is much like a social security number but business-specific. It is used by the IRS for taxation purposes. If you are a sole proprietor or an LLC with no employees, you do not need to apply for an EIN. In terms of taxes, it will all be under your returns using your social security number. That said, it is not a bad idea to get one even if you are not required to, as this helps maintain greater separation between business and personal. It is free to obtain your EIN and can be done online.

Sales Tax Permits in Florida

In terms of licensing at the state level, the most common one is a Florida Sales Tax Permit. Any company that sells goods in a retail capacity will need to get one before launching their company.

So essentially, when selling a product you will charge a sales tax on that item. Services usually are not taxable, though there are a few that are such as cleaning and pest control for example.

Resale Certificate

If your company is a reseller—you buy goods and then resell them under your brand, you will need to first get a Florida Resale Certificate. This will prevent you from having to pay sales tax on the merchandise which you are reselling.

Professional License

Some businesses are regulated at the state level and thus will need to get requisite permits to operate. This includes veterinarians, accountants, landscapers, and a host of other businesses. If you are unsure if your business falls in this category you must check with the state department to find out.

Fictitious Name Registration

If you are a sole proprietor and/or unincorporated, often owners will file for a Fictitious Name Registration—this is also called a Doing Business As (DBA/). This would be done at the state level and will thereby allow you to operate under a name other than your name.

First Union Lending is here to help. We have been working with small business owners for years getting them the funding they need when they need it—not weeks or months from now. We offer short term loans, merchant cash advances, and SBA loans, among other such products. With resources ranging from 5k to one million, we have the perfect financing solution to meet your requirements. Whether looking to expand, purchase equipment, or simply whether the downtime, we can get you to cash quickly—sometimes in as little as two business days. Call now and let's get started together!

Becky: Hi! Let's find the best loan option for you

Google 4.8 star rating
Trustpilot 4.6 star rating

First Union Lending LLC is a dually licensed Lender/Broker with its main offices located at 4900 Millenia Blvd First Floor Orlando, FL 32839. First Union Lending LLC and its ads are meant for continental United States, including Alaska and Hawaii small business owners. Business Loans offered by First Union Lending LLC have varying rates and terms that can range from 30 - 120 payments and all rates and terms are based on eligibility of the business and its owners. The actual terms are based on credit, business history, industry, amount and terms. As an example, a $5,000 loan paid over 5 years at 8% would have a total repayment of $6,082.92 over the life of the loan. We use the latest encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, as well as run our own secure server network to ensure your information is protected offline as well. California loans made pursuant to the California Financing Law, Division 9 (commencing with Section 22000) of the Finance Code. All such loans made through VBJ Consulting, LLC, a licensed finance lender/broker, California Financing Law License No. CFL#60DBO78163

Copyright © First Union Lending, LLC. 2023