By: First Union
The Equipment Needed to Open a Physical Therapy Clinic
Opening a physical therapy clinic is exciting, but physical therapy equipment can be costly. How can you make sure you get all the equipment you need without destroying your budget? Here are some suggestions on the equipment you need to open a physical therapy clinic. We'll also cover tips for helping you decide what you need right away and what equipment can wait until your clinic is established.
Tips to Help You Decide the Most Important Equipment to Open a PT Clinic
While it's tempting to buy every piece of physical therapy equipment available, it isn't the right business decision. You shouldn't invest in every piece of equipment before your business has a chance to get off the ground. However, how do you decide what you must buy now and what can wait?
- Write a list of the joint problems, diagnoses, and patient populations that you plan on treating.
- Create a second list of the most critical equipment for each category.
- Rate each piece of equipment on its level of importance, with five being the most important and one being the least important.
- Rate how versatile each piece of equipment is, with five being the most versatile and one being the least versatile.
- Start with the highest-rated pieces of equipment for the most cost-efficient way to open a physical therapy clinic.
Types of physical therapy equipment You Need to Open a Physical Therapy Clinic
It's easy to get carried away buying physical therapy equipment dedicated to physical therapy. However, don't forget to budget for things like computer software, waiting room furniture, business cards, and more. Here are some of the types of equipment you need to open a physical therapy clinic.
Office Equipment and physical therapy rooms
At a minimum, you will probably have a reception area, one back room office and a physical therapy room. It would be best if you made sure each space has what it needs, such as:
- Computer with appropriate hardware and software
- Cash box and credit card processing machine(s/)
- Patient chart materials
- Filing cabinets
- Business cards and stationery
- Multi-function copier/fax/scanner
- Other physical therapy equipment
Other Business Supplies
While not relating directly to the back office or reception desk, don't forget to include these other business supplies:
- Waiting room furniture
- Cleaning supplies
- Trash cans and bags
- Coffee maker
- Refrigerator and microwave for the breakroom
- Other breakroom supplies
- Washer, dryer, laundry basket
Medical and First Aid Supplies
Accidents happen, and you should prepare for everything from a paper cut to an injury to a heart attack:
- AED (automated external defibrillator/)
- Ace wrap
- Cotton swabs
- Tongue depressors
- Athletic tape
- Rubbing alcohol
A big part of physical therapy is helping people understand their injuries. Another is knowing how to properly execute their exercises to help improve their injury without the risk of making it worse. Some physical therapy equipment that can help with this include:
- Anatomical models
- Tablet or computer for patient education
Testing and Measuring Devices
Don't forget to include the tools that can help you assess your patients' progress. Make sure you include things like:
- Blood pressure monitor
- Tape measure
- Reflex hammer
- Neurological testing instruments
- FCE testing equipment or system
- Video analysis hardware & software
To have an excellent physical therapy clinic, you need more than just big equipment. Smaller things that can make a big difference include:
- Ice packs
- Small freezer
- Ice massage cups
- Massage cream
- Vaso pneumatic compression device
- Hydrocollator with hot packs
- Electrical stimulator with electrodes
- Iontophoresis unit
- Paraffin bath
- Traction unit, table, and accessories
Exercise and Fitness Equipment
Exercise is a big part of the physical therapy process. Consider including some of the following pieces of equipment in your physical therapy clinic:
- Gym ball
- Medicine balls
- Foam rolls
- Resistance bands or tubing
- Cuff weights
- Supine shuttle-style leg press machine
- Stationary bike
- Upper Body Ergometer
- Multi-purpose, multi-joint, adjustable resistive machine
- Balance boards
- EMG biofeedback or diagnostic equipment
- Wall or parallel bars
Basic PT Equipment
Now, the equipment you've been waiting for: Here is some of the equipment you should consider investing in:
- Treatment tables
- Step stools
- Linens: towels, blanket, sheets, gowns, pillows, pillowcases, etc.
- Gait belt
- Variety of bolsters, wedges, supports
- Orthotics / Splinting materials
- Taping supplies
- Treatment room cabinets, chairs
- Therapist stools on wheels
- Exercise steps
- Various assistive devices
While some physical therapy equipment can wait, it does require lots of money to get the minimum equipment necessary to get your physical therapy clinic up and running, and equip your physical therapy rooms.
First Union Lending has a wide variety of small business loans to help you get the best loan for the equipment you need to open a physical therapy clinic. Not all loan types are created equal, so click here or call 863-825-5626 to speak to a lending specialist about the best kind of financing for your needs.
We can help you bring your dream of opening your physical therapy clinic to life. call us today, or fill out the form above to get started.